Atletico Madrid midfielder Joao Felix has been named the 2019 Golden Boy, after a strong start to his career at Wanda Metropolitano.
Tuttosport has today released the XVII edition of the Golden Boy which will see the winners receive the award on Monday 16 December in Turin, on the Gala evening with over 200 guests at the Ogres.
Director Xavier Jacobelli announced that The Golden Boy was won by striker Joao Felix of the Atletico Madrid. The Portuguese starlet received 332 votes, defeating the English Jadon Sancho of Borussia Dortmund (175) and the German Kai Havertz of Bayer Leverkusen (75). In fact, 25 out of 40 voters chose Felix in the first place.
Joao Felix himself, through a video, expressed his thanks to Tuttosport: “Thanks to Tuttosport for the Golden Boy 2019, I am very proud. It is the second time that a player from Atletico Madrid has won this award and I am happy. Thanks also to Benfica, in particular to coach Bruno Lage for all he has done for me and my family that is always close to me. A hug.”
The complete Golden Boy 2019 ranking:
1. JOAO FELIX, Portugal, Atlético Madrid, 332 points
2. SANCHO, England, Borussia Dortmund, 175
3. HAVERTZ, Germany, Bayer Leverkusen, 75
4. HAALAND, Norway, Red Bull Salzburg, 74
5. DE LIGT, Netherlands, Juventus, 71
6. FATI, Spain / Guinea B., Barcelona, 49
7. FODEN, England, Manchester City, 46
8. DONNARUMMA, Italy, Milan, 37
9. ZANIOLO, Italy, Rome, 36
10. MALEN, Holland, PSV Eindhoven, 35
11. MOUNT, England, Chelsea, 29
12. RODRYGO, Brazil, Real Madrid, 20
13. VINICIUS J., Brazil, Real Madrid, 13
14. KEAN, Italy, Everton, 13
15. LUNIN, Ukraine, Valladolid, 11
16. JOVELJIC, Serbia, Eintracht F., 9
17. GUENDOUZI, France / Morocco, Arsenal, 9
18. DAVIES, Canada / Liberia, Bayern, 1